We’re still busy celebrating the 35th birthday of Souplantation and wanted to share some of our past with of you! In1978 the first Souplantation opened in San Diego and was credited as being the first casual eatery brand to serve fresh, wholesome menu options. Thinking about our history brought up some fun facts we remember about 1978:
- “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes” was filmed in San Diego
- Dan Fouts, quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, finished the season with a rating of 83.0
- The San Diego Padres won their season opener against the San Francisco Giants
- The national average price of a dozen eggs was 48 cents
- The movie “Grease” was released
- Space Invaders, the arcade game, was released
- Album of the year was Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors
- Jane Fonda won Best Actress for “Coming Home”
Moving forward, we opened our first restaurant outside of San Diego in 1986 and in 1990 the first Sweet Tomatoes was established in Florida. Since then we’ve just continued to grow! Now with over 125 restaurants in 15 states we have had the opportunity to serve millions of customers, and we want to hear about your memories!
Share your favorite Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes memory in the Comments area by 11:59pm PST on 3/31/13 to be entered to win - 10 lucky winners will be chosen at random and receive a pair of free meal passes!
*Don’t worry if your comment doesn’t appear immediately below, our staff is reading and approving them as quickly as we can! This will not affect your entry into the contest, all responses received prior to the end of the contest period will be entered to win.Winners will be notified via their email address entered to comment.