Here’s another seasonal favorite from our kitchen to yours. We just revised our Make-It-Fit guides and we now have icons on our guides to show you if an item is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, low-fat or fat-free. We categorize our Split Pea and Potato Barley soup as Low-Fat (meaning 3 grams of fat or less per serving) and Vegetarian (contains dairy or eggs, but no meat or meat products).
We just served this healthy hearty soup during the first part of January! We know its time for some resolution solutions and Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes cares about what goes into your bodies. Below is a easy recipe that you can make at home and enjoy!
Don’t be daunted by the fact that the recipe makes 20 cups. This soup is even more delicious after a day or two of sitting. I wouldn’t suggest freezing it because of the fresh potatoes, but I found that leftover soup kept fine for a week.
Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes Split Pea and Potato Barley
Hands on: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Canola oil ¼ cup
Yellow onions (chopped) ¼” 2 ¼ cups
Carrots (chopped) ¼” 2 cups
Celery (chopped) ¼” 1 ½ cups
Minced Garlic 1 tbsp.
Water 12 cups
Dried green split peas 2 ½ cups
Potatoes (diced) 6 ½ cups
Barley ¾ cup
Dried basil ¾ tsp
Dried thyme ½ tsp.
Black pepper ¾ tsp.
Bay leaves 2 leaves
Vegetable base 2 tbsp.
Kosher salt 1 ¼ tsp.
Fresh Parsley (chopped) 3 tbsp.
- Place oil, chopped onions, chopped carrots and chopped celery into pot. Sauté vegetables until soft.
- Add minced garlic to vegetables and stir together to combine. Sauté briefly until garlic is fragrant.
- Add water, dried split pears, diced potatoes, barley, dried basil, thyme, black pepper, bay leaves, vegetable base and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer approximately 1 hour or until split peas and barley are soft and fully cooked.
- Turn off heat. Stir in chopped fresh parsley. Remove bay leaves and serve
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Per 1-cup serving: 193 calories (percent of calories from fat, 15), 9 grams protein, 34 grams carbohydrates, 9 grams fiber, 3 grams fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 172 milligrams sodium.