Planning daily meals can become hum-drum – but only if you let it! Mix up the pre-planned dinners this week and add a bit of excitement by taking a meal into the great outdoors when the weather permits. Gather up your family or a group of friends, grab a picnic basket and head to the beach, lake, park or even your own backyard for some outside dining and activities. Not sure what to bring? We’ve compiled some of our picnic must-haves below:
- A Colorful Blanket. Not only will you need somewhere to lay out your delicious spread but, a bright pattern is a great way to ensure all your guests will be able to find you!
- Reusable Containers. Pack up your picnic treats in various BPA-free reusable plastic containers to keep your meal’s carbon footprint as low as possible.
- Eco-Friendly Utensils & Dishware. If you don’t feel like packing up your silverware and china from home there are plenty of eco-friendly alternatives such as napkins and plates made from recycled materials and utensils constructed from biodegradable options, like bamboo.
- Healthy Snacks. Along with picnic favorites such as hot dogs or potato salad, add in some nutritious snack options to munch on while you wait for the main course. Baby carrots, celery sticks and whole fruits are great options to keep you full while soaking in the summer sun.
- Load up on Salads. Light and refreshing, salads are the perfect way to cool down and fill up. Make the dish more interesting by adding some fruit. Take a look at the recipes for our Strawberry Fields Salad with Caramelized Walnuts salad or our Mandarin Spinach with Caramelized Walnuts salad for some inspiration.
- Infused Water. Ditch the sugary sodas for a lighter option like a refreshing bottle of homemade infused water. Some of our favorite recipes make use of berries, citrus, and cucumbers.
- Fun Activities. Bring something fun along that you haven’t done in a while. Fly a kite, play badminton or, if you have the time, make your own ladder golf game to bring along.
- Sun Screen. Nothing ruins a fun day out in the sun like getting a sunburn. Be sure to reapply throughout the day to keep everyone having fun!
Do you have any other picnic tips or traditions your family observes? We’d love to hear about them in the comments below!